Congratulations to all of our regional science fair award winners!
- Tiffany Chen; Nandini Shine – Grand Prize Nominee; First Place for Chemistry (Project: The Effect of Temperatures on Luminol Chemiluminescence Reaction)
- Ryan Chou – First Place for Chemistry (Project: The Effect of Activated Charcoal Quantity on its Absorption Ability)
- Amelia Hsu; Katie Kim – First Place for Energy Physical (Project: The Effect of Different Hydroelectric Generator Designs on the Average Volts Produced)
- Samir Chowdhury; Finn Marks – Honorable Mention for Energy: Chemical (Project: The Effect of Different Bases on the Efficiency of Carbon Sequestration)
- Emily Hunter; Hayden Birchfield – Honorable Mention for Materials Science (Project: Tampon Prices are Outrageous. Period.)
- Rachel Kulp; Varun Sathyanarayanan; Arianna Safire – Honorable Mention for Physics and Astronomy (Project: The Effect of Parachute Design on Descent Speed)
- Ryan Chou – Honorable Mention (Certificate of Merit) from the Virginia Dental Association (Project: The Effect of Activated Charcoal Quantity on its Absorption Ability)
Congratulations to Ally Liu, who won a Gold Key in the 2018 Regional Scholastic Writing Awards competition for her flash fiction piece.
McLean’s National Merit Scholarship Finalists are Hannah Alexander, Royce Kang, Bradley Kim, Justin Kim, Alan Kohler III, Keerthi Medicherla, Careniena Opem, Jillian Pincus, Siddarth Shankar, Philena Sun, Eli Wassertzug, and Richard Yu. Congratulations to all of you!
Congratulations to our Scholastic Bowl team and their coaches for winning the Liberty District Championship at Herndon High School over the weekend! Carson Flickinger, Justin Young, Mara Kessler and Grace Chung will compete in the regional tournament at Madison High School next week. Please wish them luck!
Last week, the following students were first, second, and third place overall winners in their role-play categories at the FCPS DECA District Competition. This makes them eligible to attend the State Conference in March along with DECA’s teams and other event competitors. Please congratulate them when you see them.
Lily Cooper – Quick Service Restaurant Marketing
Jana Kral – Entrepreneurship
Zoe Mallus – Principles of Hospitality
Carter Robertson – Sports & Entertainment Marketing
Sydney Wang – Principles of Marketing
Cayla Davis – Marketing Communications
Caroline Howley – Food Marketing
Bryce Liquerman – Hotel & Lodging Management
Philena Sun – Entrepreneurship
Nathan Legg – Social Media
Paige Pilewski – Retail Marketing
Christopher Song – Principles of Finance
Other students who were recognized for their performance in their test or role-play:
Mason Davis, Janine Dimatvlac, Akati Doku, Caitlin Kelly, John LeMunyon, Kaitlyn Merritt & Eric Stresler
Jacob Zacks placed among the top performers at the Economics for Leaders program at Cornell University. Nice work!
Christian Hackett represented McLean High School and the Commonwealth of Virginia at the Congress of Future Science and Technology Leaders in Boston, Massachusetts.
Philena Sun received the Youth Recognition Award from the McLean Chamber of Commerce for her service and collaboration with them on behalf of McLean High School and DECA.
Mauricio Gerdes, Emily Lachow, Zoe Lachow, Emmanuel Steinerrobles and Isabella Whitney were recognized by College Board as National Hispanic Scholars. These students scored in the top 2.5% among Hispanic and Latino PSAT/NMSQT test takers in our region. Great work!
McLean has 11 Semifinalists in the 2018 National Merit Scholarship Competition. In alphabetical order, they are: Hannah Alexander, Royce Kang, Bradley Kim, Justin Kim, Keerthi Medicherla, Careniena Opem, Jillian Pincus, Siddarth Shankar, Philena Sun, Eli Wassertzug, and Richard Yu. Congratulations!