DECA students had a great showing at the competition in Virginia Beach last weekend. Here are the 18 students who made it to the national level of DECA competition:
- Evan Bremser & Mason Davis, 1st Place, Sports & Entertainment Marketing Team
- Philena Sun, 1st Place, Entrepreneurship Individual Event
- Zoe Mallus, 2nd Place, Principles of Hospitality Management
- Maha Baig & Asia Kurtalic, 3rd Place, Entrepreneurship Team Decision Making
- Lily Cooper, 3rd Place, Quick Service Restaurant Management
- Josh Brown, Janine Dimatulac & Julia Roberton, 3rd Place, Hospitality & Tourism Operations
- Kyle Creeser & Carter Robertson, Finalist, Sports & Entertainment Marketing Team
- Cayla Davis & Kaitlyn Merritt, Finalist, Marketing Management Team
- Camron Khaliq & Adam Lampal, Finalist, Hospitality Services Team Decision Making
- Jana Kral, Finalist, Entrepreneurship Individual Event
- Paige Pilewski, Finalist, Retail Merchandising
These students were awarded medals based on finishing in the top 10 in their event for the test:
- Kate Conklin, Sports & Entertainment Promotion
- Benjamin Jeannot, Principles of Finance
- Anna Karl, Advertising Campaign
- Bryce Liquerman, Hotel & Lodging
- Sydney Wang, Principles of Marketing
Bryce Liquerman was named a recipient of the 2018 Student Peace Awards of Fairfax County for his work as a Special Olympics coach and with our Sources of Strength group that helps students deal with pressure and anxiety related to school and home. We are thankful for his contributions to our McLean community!
McLean’s Model UN team won the Best Large School award at Georgetown’s North American Invitational Model UN Conference (NAIMUN). The conference, which is considered to be the “national championship” of Model UN by many, had over 3,300 delegates and 160 schools, but McLean’s team was able to beat schools from both the United States and internationally.
Seventeen McLean students were recognized for awards at the conference. Please congratulate them when you see them.
Lana Al-Saloum & Sarah Gu
Ian Ghasemian & Laith Samamreh
Samir Chowdhury & Kyla Duggal
Jillian Pincus & Nour Khachemoune
Congratulations to our Scholastic Bowl team and their coaches for winning the Liberty District Championship at Herndon High School over the weekend! Carson Flickinger, Justin Young, Mara Kessler and Grace Chung will compete in the regional tournament at Madison High School next week. Please wish them luck!
McLean’s Model UN Team won the Best Large School Award at William and Mary’s High School Model UN Conference, beating schools from as far as Miami and Chicago and as close as Chantilly and TJ.
Twenty McLean students were recognized for awards at the conference. Please congratulate them when you see them.
Nour Khachemoune & Jillian Pincus
Caroline Brunner & Zoe Lynes
Laith Samamreh & Shriansh Singh
Lana Al-Saloum & Sarah Gu
Kyla Duggal & Maddie Sisk
Last week, the following students were first, second, and third place overall winners in their role-play categories at the FCPS DECA District Competition. This makes them eligible to attend the State Conference in March along with DECA’s teams and other event competitors. Please congratulate them when you see them.
Lily Cooper – Quick Service Restaurant Marketing
Jana Kral – Entrepreneurship
Zoe Mallus – Principles of Hospitality
Carter Robertson – Sports & Entertainment Marketing
Sydney Wang – Principles of Marketing
Cayla Davis – Marketing Communications
Caroline Howley – Food Marketing
Bryce Liquerman – Hotel & Lodging Management
Philena Sun – Entrepreneurship
Nathan Legg – Social Media
Paige Pilewski – Retail Marketing
Christopher Song – Principles of Finance
Other students who were recognized for their performance in their test or role-play:
Mason Davis, Janine Dimatvlac, Akati Doku, Caitlin Kelly, John LeMunyon, Kaitlyn Merritt & Eric Stresler
Justin Young, Ryan Shue and Jake Shue competed at the Virginia Tech Fall Kickoff tournament last weekend, where they finished second out of 22 teams. This placement qualified them for the NAQT Nationals in Atlanta in May 2018.
Members of DECA learned a lot while competing at nationals in Anaheim last week, and Philena Sun placed in the top 20 for Human Resource Management. Way to go!
Philena Sun and Riley Smith received plaques and certificates for obtaining the first place for Virginia in the DECA regional competition for Virtual Business Hotel.
Fatima Shahbaz recently won the Harry S. Byrd Leadership Award. She was presented this award due to her academic accomplishments and hard work.